Unreal Playground  

Go Back   Unreal Playground > Games > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 > UT2K3/UT2K4 Level Design

Old 02-23-2004, 04:30 AM   #1
Deathbliss
Optimistic Creative Force

Downloads: 91

Question FREE castle and gothic textures for UT 2003?

The title is self evident... Where exactly can one get ahold of some free high quality gothic/castle textures for use in UT2003? But let me be perfectly clear... I DO NOT want links to texture sites! That is unless they have a LARGE, WORTHWHILE section of textures suitable for gothic/castle architecture! A lot of things dissapointed me about UT2003 - the lack of castle/gothic levels and textures was one of them. I have converted the old ShaneChurch over from Unreal Tournament, and that's along the lines of what I'm after. Look for maps by Robert Wey to get an even better idea of what I'm after (yes, I'm REALLY old school - so shoot me!) I just figured by now one of the many talented texture artists out there would have filled in the void here - I can't be the only one in the community that's aftee these kinds of textures can I? So if you know of anything like this please post the info here - we can make it a repository for finding quality textures that people actually want. In the interim I'll be looking into Rune, Wheel Of Time, and Undying but obviously this could cause all the copyright supporters out there to want to stone me to death so I'm trying desperately to avoid angering them at all costs!

Your help is as always appreciated! Yes, my next level will be a castle - all custom meshes designed in Max (which will be freely and publicly available for anyone to use); that is if I can manage it and the project doesn't get to be bigger than what I can handle.
Deathbliss

P.S. Quake 3 Arena textures suck, and this applies to the similar ones included with UT2003. In fact anything with skulls and demons, metal and blood won't really work. Look up books with pictures of old castles and churches in any library. Notice how you see a lot of grey stone, interspersed with other colors but the stone in various shades of white and grey is what I'm after.

The Lyceum is dead... Long live The Nucleus Retro!

Last edited by Deathbliss; 02-23-2004 at 04:33 AM.
Deathbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 03:27 PM   #2
Lord_Simeon
beep...beep....beep...

Downloads: 55

you could try the photo realistic texture pack, theres some awesome textures in there, cant remember if theres any gothic type ones, but its a pack every mapper should have.
Link

I like to use mayangs free textures too, although there not great tiled, there is some excellent quality in a range of styles, most are 1600 X 1024 or something.
More links

Also, there a few beautiful stonewall textures in one of the default packages, i think maybe H_E_L_L.Utx.
Lord_Simeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 06:14 PM   #3
Gargorias
Grrrrr........

Downloads: 2

The game Return to Castle Wolfenstein has lots of good stuff of what you are looking for but only if you don't mind using smaller TGA textures and I am not sure about copyright but you can get the texture packs HERE. There is 8 of them all around 14mb.
I guess you could always ask ID Software if you could use them.
I have searched myself for free stuff of what you are looking for and I haven't found much yet.

Last edited by Gargorias; 02-23-2004 at 06:21 PM.
Gargorias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 08:03 PM   #4
Deathbliss

Thanks!

I'll look into these links, and I'm getting the RTCW textures right now. I'm not worried about ID and other game companies, it's the copyright advocates in the community that scare me! They're like bloodthirsty, starving wolves on a mangled deer corpse!
- Deathbliss

Old 02-24-2004, 01:09 AM   #5
Gargorias
Grrrrr........

You might want to check out THESE texture packs. They are very high quality 1600*1200 seamless reality textures. There are a few old brick and stone walls, some mossy walls and floors, wood, groundcoveres, asphalt, etc.
You may be be able to make use of some of them. Big DL's though!

Last edited by Gargorias; 02-24-2004 at 01:12 AM.
Gargorias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 01:30 AM   #6
Gargorias
Grrrrr........

Actually! I was sadly mistaken about the RTCW texture packs. There is indeed many very nice 512*512 tga textures in there. I just hadn't checked them all out. Mmmmmmmm, makes me want to use them.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:44 AM   #7
Spiffness
This world is a possibiliy

Send a message via ICQ to Spiffness Send a message via AIM to Spiffness Send a message via MSN to Spiffness Send a message via Yahoo to Spiffness Send a message via Skype™ to Spiffness
Some good texture resources... thanks

I have one to add, some VERY excellent 512x512 seamless textures, hundreds... however 512x512 may be to small in some cases, repeat to much. But ive had much sucess with it. The sites in french (or something) but you dont need to understand it to browse the textures, its self explanitory.

Im not sure about copywrite... cuz well... its in french...

So its free!

Here you go

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.
- Ernest Benn
----
"And each and everyday will lead into tomorrow
And tomorrow brings one less day without you
But don't wait up just leave the light on
'Cause all the roads that I might take will all one day lead back to you"
- Rise Against

Spiffness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:11 AM   #8
Deathbliss

Talking Again - thank you!

Yeah I noticed that there are some good textures in the Wolfenstein packs - I have them all unzipped with folder names so I'll be batch converting them and making .utx packages out of them - copyright advocates not-withstanding. It'll be a while until I'm finished though... The other sites look cool - I'm avoiding the .jpg ones as usually these seems to loose some quality (trust me, when your lonely and you search for a particular ehm... Media... Well you learn Photoshop in ways you never thought possible ! COUGH!Domai.comCOUGH!) Now how about the Nvida textures? It's non-resumable - I wander if there's anywhere else I can get it? Can anyone help me?

Looking over the French site... WOW some of those look good!
- Deathbliss

Last edited by Deathbliss; 02-24-2004 at 04:14 AM.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:43 AM   #9
djmarvelz

eeermm, yeah well i'm new to this...im also looking for new textures....just wondering whats this is on about making a .utx package? and batch coverting?? help?
Old 05-28-2004, 06:12 AM   #10
Deathbliss

Red face Well...

I still havenn't started on this sorry... But to answer your questions... UnrealED can import textures just fine, but all textures get saved into what's called a .utx package. That's all the files with a .utx extension in your Textures folder. Both Dragon Unpacker and there's another one I can't recall right now - Unreal Services UT Tool or something like that - anyhow both allow extraxtion of textures from .utx. So if you wanted to get textures out of another Unreal Engine based game that's what you'd use - Dragon Unpacker is the best tool and I'll post a link sometime.

With the newest versions of the editor special compressed high quality textures - .dds - have been introduced. Unfortunately, the good folks that made Unreal, and this applies to all of them through the history of UnrealED - don't give a rats ass about patching and improving the editor. The editor currently lacks proper .dds support - things like mimaps aren't done very well. So you gotta use Adobe Photoshop. Once you have a bunch of textures converted and ready for import using Photoshop and the .dds plugin you can import them into UnrealED, save the package as a .utx file, and then you include that file with your map.

All of this would be unecassary if the good folks that made the game realized that gamers would like a large variety of levels, and by proxy a large variety of texture choices. We want Industrial, Medieval, Ancient, Egyptian, Organic, Tech and so forth. What we got was just Industrial, some Organic, Egyptian, and Tech. That's not nearly enough - not by far. So if you want something else you either import it from Unreal Tournament and have every ******* in this forum tell you your level looks like an Unreal Tournament level, or you get custom textures.

I vote for the later option because I didn't like the response I got when I made DM-Stoned...
Deathbliss

Old 05-28-2004, 07:42 AM   #11
djmarvelz

thats great really helped me out!!! so i tried it out and it doesnt work...i'm using unreal ed 3.0, but it has all the textures and meshes for the other ubisoft game 'XIII' so can i/will it let me make a UT game with it?
Old 05-28-2004, 11:49 PM   #12
Deathbliss

Post That depends...

You see some game developers got nasty and used different coding for some games with their .utx files. Others just had the protection of engine differences - but the end result is the same. You won't be able to open some .utx files with UnrealED. So you get good 'ol Dragon Unpacker:
http://www.elberethzone.net/index.ph...p5&language=en

Then you extract all the textures somewhere - probably to an XIII folder in your case - then you import the textures you want into UnrealED and your level. WATCH OUT FOR MASKED TEXTURES! There are some textures that may give you fits, or have to be imported certain ways - just take your your time.

If you need help figuring Dragon Unpacker or the rest of this out lemme know -
- Deathbliss

Old 06-01-2004, 03:20 AM   #13
djmarvelz

great inof thanks!! all works nicly, and just getting the hang on dragon unpacker which seems like a nice programme.... is it the same principle for static meshes? been trying to work out how to import via dragon umpacker unsuccessfully!!!
Old 06-01-2004, 10:05 AM   #14
djmarvelz

Importing textures nicely, packing them into utx ... mmm ... just need to work out the old static meshes ...and any idea where i can get some from, as i am using XIII and need some better ones...lol..i could make a XIII unreal map... wonder how that would go down!! any ideas where i can download the orginal static meshes? found the orginal textures from www.kingpinforever.com
Ta
Old 06-02-2004, 02:40 AM   #15
Deathbliss

Post Well...

StaticMeshes - at least for Unreal Tournament 2003 and Unreal 2 (I don't have XIII or UT 2004) are all located in your install directory/StaticMeshes. They have an extension of .usx. I THINK Dragon Upacker can extract them, but they are in a format you can only import into an application like 3DS Max. I'm kinda rusty on this info now... You MIGHT be able to extract the files, and import them once you have all their .utx packages with th textures they use -into UT 2003, Unreal2, or UT 2004. I'm not sure though - I don't know if the texturing info will work across all these games due to the engine differences.

So you're on your own here ATM, unless I find some time this weekend to play around. I should warn you about your level before you release it... You will be extremely critisized - mostly negatively so - if you use another game's stuff for say a UT 2003 level. SOMETIMES you'll be ok, but most of the time the group I call "copyright advocates" (gamers with nothing better to do than to defend large companies that don't give a **** about them) will attack you in force. If you manage to survive that then you may find the companies themselves will come after you - depends I guess on a number of circumstances - but don't be surprised if you get a scary e-mail. I recommend using these meshes only as a reference point, and then making your own stuff with either MayaPLE or whatever that learning vesion of Max is called.

Anyhow you've been warned! I don't agree with the "copyright advocates", but I do feel that you're better off in the long run creating your own stuff and finding yoru own artistic voice - rather than copying others. Unorginality really is affecting gaming in a negaitive way. YOU are UNIQUE, therefore whatever you create of yourself should be unique, and that will make you more original and your creations far more interesting.

That's a good thing IMO -
- Deathbliss