View Full Version : CTF Map needs some feedback
12-29-2002, 09:11 PM
Well here is a map I am curently working on. It is set in a factory / assembly plant. I would appreciate a little feedback on it.
12-29-2002, 09:12 PM
Here is a pic to go with it.
12-29-2002, 11:30 PM
Here's my 30 second review.
1. Solid mesh work
2. Decent lighting
3. Decent item placement, though took me a while to find a good weapon sometimes.
1. Very confusing layout. The arrows on the floors are a good idea, but even so I was not really able to pick my route...just head in the right direction and hope for the best. I think the teleporters really added to the confusion.
2. Some of the corridors were rather tight, which might lead to spammy play.
On those conveyors...I noticed that with my hands off the controls, I was "walking" on the conveyors, rather than gliding along. Didn't seem right. Also, it might be nice if they went different directions.
You must have put a great deal of work into this. If something can be done to make those routes a little less confusing, I think it will be a cool map.:cool:
12-30-2002, 12:00 AM
Well I am going to make both bases different in textureing. The red will be more rusted and old and the blue more new and shiny. I just have not got to that yet.
As for the layout it has confused others and I aware of that. It is an issue that needs to be addressed. I had not thought of the teleporters adding to the confusion. If so that maybe something I have to work with and change.
The conveyors can be switched real easy. I may even do that right now while i am thinking about it.
Yes some of the halls are very tight. I had planned them that way. Thus the map had a blend of moderatly open areas, wide open areas, and closed in areas. Also not a huge thing to change, big but not huge.
Thanks for the feed back.
12-31-2002, 12:16 AM
HOLY FPS KILLER :eek:
After playing this map for a bit I have a couple of observations.
First the bad...
1. Way too many statics or lack of zones or something.. (didnt look at it in the editor). This map really eats up fps fast.
2. Many of the areas are far far too bright in the lighting department. Even with the cool looking statics on the walls, the details are so bright that it looses the cool shadows and look more like doom.
3. Quite confusing in the layout. Took me a while to find the enemy and the enemy flag.
Now the good...
1. I think after learning the layout better this map could be more fun. Even with the initial confusion, I like CTF layouts that are not super simple.
2. I like the concept of the map.. might also benefit from some electrical traps from motorized bot arms or something like that.
12-31-2002, 02:34 AM
Yes the zoning isn't as good as it could be. But it is just the beta version. I'll add that to the to be worked on little more list. That will have tochange based on some other changes that have been brought up anyways.
Some time way back when this map was in it's early development there was another room where the blue base is, and no blue base. I added and exteroir to the facility and that dropped the frame rate. I should have changed it all back when I removed the old room but never did. I may go back and do that now.
Just a question everyone who has tried this so far. Have you found te redeemers? Each base has one
12-31-2002, 09:27 AM
I didn't find the redeemers, but then I was trying to get a feel for the flow, and wasn't really looking for anything secret. I see them now that you brought it up, though. :)
01-01-2003, 12:08 AM
Okay. They are kind of out of the way in a place that I am not sure the bots could ever reach. The Damage amplifier is also out of the way but colorful enough it gets seen. There are also a number of other things hidden away to be found and utilized.
vBulletin® v3.7.2, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.