View Full Version : DM-Forge
11-09-2002, 12:07 PM
Hi folks, I just submitted my first UT2003 map beta DM-Forge. Check it out and let me know what you think!
11-09-2002, 12:15 PM
You'll get more/better replies if you inlcude a screenshot and the download link in your post.
11-09-2002, 12:16 PM
Welcome to the Playground!
lol..I echoed hort..
11-09-2002, 12:37 PM
11-09-2002, 12:46 PM
11-09-2002, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!
Click here to download DM-Forge (http://www.unrealplayground.com/download.php?mapid=1348)
11-09-2002, 01:16 PM
*goes to download it*
11-09-2002, 01:19 PM
Welcome to the UP, Jerry... I've taken a look at your map.
1) The graphics are too spartan. There is a distinct lack of trim, static meshes and lighting. Space platforms usually aren't paved. Read my signature. :D
2) The flow is acceptable... the four teleporters in the corners do help a lot. I like the way you used low-gravity as well. The paths between the platform should be broader, as it is currently impossible to dodge rockets and such.
3) The light meshes you have used are supposed to be placed against a wall; there are no polygons on their backs. If you stand near the edge of the map, you can see right through them.
4) Two super-weapons and a random keg/armor spawner is way too much for a 1v1 / 1v1v1 map!
5) In spite of #4, there are no health pickups?
6) To prevent this post from looking entirely negative: the sniping spot is lots of fun!
11-09-2002, 01:30 PM
it is kinda fun it is kinda plain tho
11-09-2002, 01:33 PM
Thanks for your comments - they'll really help :) I have some replies
1) Funny - I guess the concrete is rather odd
2) My co-workers like the narrow paths just for that reason, but I'll consider widening them.
3) Yeah - I noticed that too. I was too lazy to fix them.
4 & 5) Good suggestions. I'll think about some changes. The Redeemer is fun, especially if you drop off the edge and get to the safety platform below the main map.
6) You can make it to the top of the antenna, and see everything!
11-09-2002, 02:21 PM
The walks are very narrow... if the ledge along them was just a little shorter it wouldn't feel as claustrophobic. Takes a double-jump now. Definitely needs more visual interest and don't forget sounds!
Looks too much open: it's not good when you can see from one extremity of the map to the other, except in some very special cases like Morbias or Gael... Try to avoid the bridges connecting the platform too: they slightly tend to make the map fall into the Room-Corridor-Room syndrome which is also not good 'cause this presents not enough escape routes when 2 players meet each others... As a general rule, teleporters aren't welcome in DM maps and just prove that the author din't think the flow of his map carefully...
vBulletin® v3.7.2, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.