View Full Version : CTF-SFT_MeanStreet(beta2)
09-21-2002, 05:01 PM
This is a large map, but once you find the routes you'll be surprised how fast it plays. For 16 - 24 players.
Since beta1: removed much ammo from middle bridge and center floors of flag buildings. Added 4 mores buildings, three more bridges, invisibility, shield belt, u damage, and jumpboots, jumpboots, jumpboots. Removed walls in flagroom. Widened hole in roof over flag. Added ramps to the roof and the basement. Added two more teleporters. Rebuilt all the lighting. Added lighting. Added more weapons on street level. Changed many textures. Added team marks everywhere.
I made a lot of changes. Still fine tuning the bots.
Any suggestions, problems lets me know.
09-21-2002, 07:38 PM
OK then Shirley I'll have a go at it... Stay tuned...
09-21-2002, 07:56 PM
A very good map, I realy like it. but the bots on the blue base, are waiting for ever, that the elevateur come, but it does't not come,and the d'ont take the brige route, and the are no defense point in the bases. aside that EXCELLENT map.:type:
09-21-2002, 09:22 PM
Just one more thing, in the back blue base, somtime, bots just go left and right all the time, but it is a very vry, small detail, good map SirlT, I realy like it.:)
I don't say that very often, but very nice lighting in there (although the outside blue ambient light looks slightly too much saturated for me, but it's probably a matter of taste... :D )
Layout's complex without being really confusing and there's a lot of opportunities for all sorts of tactics and this combined with a nice atmosphere: really a good job, congrats Shirley :rockon:
Now, the "bad" :D
- some of your light texs aren't bright enough (especially for the ones which use lightboxes actors): you can put the surfaces as "specialit" and clone the corresponding light, which will be setted as specialit too of course, and increase the brightness of this clone to 210 or so... That'll make the light tex brighter without affecting the overall lighting of the lamp itself... Some people will say that -still concerning the lightboxes- you should put the light which is the closest to the ground as "non-incidence" but it's not really fundamental... On the other hand, some coronas seem missing
- there's no light source for the lighting above the teleporters in the water on both sides of the "pool": something to think about IMO
- there's some beginning of greenish in some places (particularly in the outside area where the ambient lighting and the local lighting add to each other) but it's barely noticeable
- try to find texs which fit well the shape of the brushes: for the lightboxes you've used a tex which is perfectly uniform and this looks really unrealistic... In mine.utx, lantrn2 and mlight3 works well for this: maybe you'll find interesting to give them a try...
- it seems there's no ambient lighting inside the buildings to contrast with the lightboxes: if you have zoned them and if you don't find any ideas concerning an ambient light source which will fit your theme, you can give a try to zonelighting (Zoneinfo properties -> Zonelight) but if you do so try to leave the brightness between 4 and 8 'cause this sort of lighting is really uniform and boring IMO...
- some places seem too dark too: good opportunities to change from the standard light sources, you can try things like fires in barrels and flares or flashlights decos scattered on the ground... You'll find some of these things in the Actor class browser, under Decoration...
- I still don't find any rational explanantion for the hole in the bottom of the "pool" but it's not really fundamental either, that looks just weird... Maybe you can put the Invisibility here, it'll be more or less useless with the U-Dam and in the middle of the bridge it looks a bit out of place...
Courage, Shirley: the end is close! :type:
09-22-2002, 12:41 PM
Yes, Cobra. The bots are doing some strange things around that elevator. I've rebuilt the mover and moved the liftcenter and lift exits several times. I'm working on it and will get it soon.
I've removed most of the defense points for now, so as to see what the bots will do. I'll be putting them back in for the next beta. I have a lot of work to do with the bot pathing.
09-22-2002, 03:38 PM
OK, Gui. I'm looking into all those things you mentioned. Thanks. I really love the fire barrel idea. That would be just perfect in a couple spots. I'm on it.
09-22-2002, 04:49 PM
Shirley makes a Mean Map....:D
Get it... mean
Shirley this map is great you certainly outdone yourself on this one...... but ummm.......the water at the bottom with the body armour in it........ i thought it could kill you the way it looked yellow.
The street that runs above the whole thing....you know the overpass, thats cool but why dont you continue it farther but put a grill there so it dont look so dead.
And what's up with the ammo man, I think some of the ammo should go or spread them out on the floors. The insides of the buildings need a little more detail to it too. :angst:
I think this map is one of ur best works shirley.
Keep it up and I might give you my number. :D
09-22-2002, 09:58 PM
Yes, I'll do that grill thing with the overpass and with the water below. Thanks Holmes.
09-23-2002, 01:47 PM
I've made some more changes thanks to your suggestions. I'm trying to get beta3 out by the weekend. Help me out and take a look so I can include any changes in 3. Thanks.
09-23-2002, 01:58 PM
lokking good shirl (played binerystar i spent about 5 mins getting lost) i will submit some as soon as the upload page is not askin me to register when i am logged in *quietly confident that you will like em all guys*
well actually they are better then anything ive done before
09-23-2002, 11:25 PM
I'm going to add some fire to the map. Does anybody know how much processing the animations use? Any dos and donts?
09-23-2002, 11:51 PM
FIRE???????? NO PLEASE. I dont think fire should go in that level. To me that map youve made looks like a modern day area. Unless youre thinking of a garbage heap or a garbage bin with fire in it, I dont think you should put fire for lighting purposes in it. It would take away from the feel of the map and make it look more like a slum.
09-23-2002, 11:51 PM
BTW its fun arguing over someone elses map :D
09-24-2002, 09:45 AM
Yeah, I was thinking of adding some garbage can fires for lighting here and there. Doesn't it kinda look a little like slums already? You don't think it will work?
09-24-2002, 04:23 PM
I going to add some fire. Maybe some smoke too.
Does anybody know any limits for using smoke and fire? I don't want to over tax the processor. The polycount is already in the high 200s in places.
Add smoke and fire, then check the fps to know if it's reasonnable... Re-locate the emitters in other locations if necessary...
09-25-2002, 08:10 PM
Thanks Cobra. I found one of those bot problems you mentioned. The blue bots weren't going over the middle bridge because the two alt paths were set for the red team. Good eye, thanks.
09-26-2002, 12:21 AM
I'm still having problems with these fire barrels. They just don't look right. Which tex files should I be checking for fire animations? Any suggestions?
09-26-2002, 01:53 AM
I can't remember which Utx packs have the good fire stuff.
I think Fireeng or something its called.
TIP - Open a level (original UT level) that has fire in it, and copy and paste the fire into your level.
09-26-2002, 07:09 PM
BTW, binary star ROCKS.
You have the talent (and the bug so it seems).
And your second map looks KICK ASS.
Keep up the good maps.
09-26-2002, 08:32 PM
Thanks Spargo. I'm trying. I couldn't have done it without the great help I've been getting. You and all the mappers here have shown me the way. I really mean that. And I'm gonna need a lot more help too. lol
Hey, look! Maps:
I'm trying to get this next beta done. Maybe, tomorrow. Tonight I have to go out and drink BEER.
09-26-2002, 11:13 PM
Spargo, empty your message box.
Yes, factory.utx came with either bonus pack 1 or bonus pack 4. I think it was 4. You can get it here at the UP files page:
Sorry, about that.
09-27-2002, 05:01 PM
I've got em on disk somewhere anyway.
I always forget to install the bonus packs........
Always just UT and 436.
vBulletin® v3.7.2, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.