View Full Version : CTF-GetLost
08-29-2002, 05:17 PM
Hey im new to the forum but i have been mapping for bout 3 months here is my lastest beta map im having some bot pathing problems with the elevators and using defense points so any help is much appreciated :type:
08-30-2002, 07:47 AM
ok then, 1st point. Textures are boring as hell, there needs to be some kind of different texturing. Alignment looks ok but you should add some floor and ceiling textures, maybe some trims or something. Oh and I get told this constantly, put some light sources in so people can see where the lights coming from.
2nd, I like where the flags are, very cool. I dont recall that ever being done but well done :D
3rd, you could do some VERY cool things with the spawn rooms, if your going for an ancient feel then you could put fires in there and loads of deco, like statues.
Theres a horrible bsp error on one of the little box things outside the spawn room which look yacky.
4th, if your on the very bottom level its bloody hard to get to where the flags are so maybe you could add a staircase in the middle or at the sides. same goes for getting onto the top, without teleporters your buggered.... ahHA!!! I see what them blocks are for now, ok scratch the higher level thing. the lifts are a tad to high but there cool. Like the shield belt position, nice and risky. Try using the 2D editor and maybe make it more curvy cause its too pointy.
Anyway very cool level, theres room for improvement but yeah it has a LOT of potential :rockon: rock on, cant wait for the next beta :D
Oh yeah WELCOME TO THE PLAYGROUND!!!:D
08-30-2002, 12:11 PM
thanks alot :rockon: i already added stairs to the lifts working on getting the bots up there they go up but only red uses the defense point in the pill boxim not sure that im gonna put stairs in the middle (at least without adding a challenge in the middle)
because talk about quick cap!
08-30-2002, 01:24 PM
yeah, it would be a very quick game that way, didnt think of that, you should add some kind of skybox, that would add a lot more to the map to look at. Still with some texture changes (mainly on the top bit) it could be very good, :rockon:
08-30-2002, 03:46 PM
heres the latest beta stairs on the lifts more bot pathing and much cooler spanw rooms :rockon:
goto next beta
08-30-2002, 04:36 PM
ok then, playing this just before I got to bed so heres a very quick kinda thingy... here we go......
ok, 1st off. spawn rooms on the bottom aint as boring which is cool, the fires ok unless you jump on it then its just weird but that can easily be sorted, Like the added stairs to the lifts, the top area *needs* different textures, and the spawn rooms above the flag are a tad dull, bots work ok but they seem to spend to much time under-water... then drown (thats of course VERY useful in ctf). the lighting in the bottom spawn rooms is a little to fast so play around with different lighting things, the flame-light would look cool by the flames (if it is the flame one then my computers ****ed) the red/blue... erm... thing on the ceiling of the spawn rooms, you could add a light under that and put it as a spotlight with the team colour maybe, dunno if it would work or look good but its an idea, erm what else.... cant think of anything else at mo, a good tip is play about with the 2d editor, you can make some very nice curvy architecture then cause its too blocky. but yeah its coming on, take care:rockon: and good night:o
08-31-2002, 01:41 PM
screw da elevators there ugly not workin right and the bots are dumbazzez trying to ride them im gonna put teleporters instead
08-31-2002, 07:18 PM
Played both versions now.
Spawn rooms do look nicer...just need another purpose for it, like a way up top maybe?
I could only translocate up to the center roost..as soon as I arrived I was killed all three times, so what ever is up there I never saw it :scratch:
As is, I capped pretty fast when I ignored everything and just played.
When the lifts worked they get you where you want to be. So your going to add teleports instead?
Need more ammo & health, sooner or later. Nice & bright so easy on the eyes too.
Keep up the good work :)
08-31-2002, 10:07 PM
newer version i one sec
09-01-2002, 12:09 AM
I need you to tell me what you want here. Now the bots are so tough, there is no play for me.
Your colors are looking much better, has depth.
Teleports work well, good job.
In the SR room one wall is a different color from the rest, just in case it wasn't intentional.
So since I am new at this...what is it you want to know about your map?
09-01-2002, 07:00 AM
heya, again there are some nice improvements, teleporers are a LOT better than the lifts (though there was the odd occasion where I'd way thought the teleporer and end up walking off the edge of the top area. Liked the Invisibility placement, never noticed it the first few times.
A VERY good idea would be to put some kind of texture underwater so you know which base your swimming towards cause the amount of times I picked up the flag (when I managed to) and ended up swimming back to there base was unbelievable. Very bloody match :-) very nice. still think the lights in spawn room are to flashy. oh yeah, one of the flames in the Red Spawn Room (on the left hand side I think) is aligned wrong cause the bottom of the flames at the top :angst: still, its getting there, wall textures on the top area need to be changed, they really looked ****ed up. anywho, good work, I really should try some teleporters :rockon:
09-01-2002, 12:23 PM
k, i got an idea ill steal some textures from coret for the underwater part
09-01-2002, 12:31 PM
Ah the Coret Textures, Best textures ever, my newest beta up here uses them crap loads, I think I only used the Coret textures. Very cool textures, have a look in the CTF texture pack, thats got lots of the cool team texture things :)
looking forward to next version muchly
09-01-2002, 09:04 PM
09-02-2002, 04:09 PM
just played it. The stairs and textures that are the same NEED to change to something different. some different floor textures and wall textures would be cool. Like the underwater section a lot more now, no more getting lost :) some minor issues, the sniper thing in the air, you can see everything thats inside the room from underneath which is ****ed up, but yeah its getting there. keep up the good work
09-03-2002, 08:02 PM
Interesting how you made the map very simple, and surounded the flags with water making them difficult to get to. With the water being the cause for needing teamwork, instead of a complex map. Unique idea, I like that. And it's good you kept the poly count low so people with a low end system will have a high fps. Although you can still add some more texure detail to it, and maintain a reasonable poly count.
O.k, here are the items that I think need to be fixed:
1. Put some stairs from the lower center room to either base. If you're down there with the flag the only way out is through the teleporter or with a piston jump. A set of stairs would be nice.
2. The rocket launcher is in a funny place. A keg would be better suited way down there.
3. The goo gun is usless in a map that open. Give the respawns something better, a pulse or flak. Even though I know you hate flak, it would be a nice item in that map.
4. Where the pulse gun is now, put the shock rifle there instead, with only two shock core ammos next to it. Seems like a better place for it, and respawns can grab it quickly. Put the rocket launcher above the flag where the shock is now, with two rocket ammo packs. Add an elevator behind the flag going to the bay above it.
5. Put some single rocket and shock ammos in the upper middle platform.
6. I don't understand the need for going through two teleporters to get to the middle sniper bay. You go through a teleporter underwater, which takes you into a room, then through another teleporter to get to the sniper bay. Just lower it to one teleporter.
7. A sniper niche or platform way above the flag would be cool, with a teleporter for access. Put a sniper rifle up there with some rifle rounds. Right now there is only one sniper rifle in the map, and it's hard to get to. you need to make the rifle more plentifull.
O.k, that's it :) if I think of anything else I'll post it. Interesting concept you have.
09-04-2002, 07:01 PM
09-04-2002, 09:16 PM
Couldn't open it :( It said "Failed launching URL, can't find file for package my level"
09-04-2002, 09:52 PM
09-05-2002, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by blito3
09-05-2002, 06:19 AM
i think i know whats wrong lemme fix it i think its fixed try it now :)
09-05-2002, 10:21 PM
Got it, this one worked :) o.k, here are my additional thoughts:
1. You need to liven up the appearance. All it is, is a box with some dull texures. I'm talking about the outer walls. Try adding some texture, design and shape to it. And try keeping the poly count below 160 when you do that.
2. If I'm down by the pulse, the automatic cannon trys to shoot me but instead just fires at the ground inside its niche. That's wierd, it should be fixed.
3. When I told my bot to take the flag it didn't wana do it :) instead it just hung around at its own base.
4. I don't know about the wall you added by the water at each base. I think I liked it better without the wall. When you take the flag, all they have to do is spam at the door to kill you. It's hard enough running the flag with that water in the way. Plus I kind of like some openness where you have room to fight, instead of having empty rooms.
5. You can probably do better with the bulkhead that has the stairs attached to it now. Instead of making it a strait wall, give it some curves, add some design. Maybe instead of one stairway in the middle have two circular stairways on each end.
6. I still think everything I suggested in my previous post would make sense.
That's all :) Don't kill yourself working on it, it's not a big deal.
vBulletin® v3.7.2, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.