PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Nintendo NES on eBay .

radio667
03-15-2005, 12:13 AM
from the register ............. A New York eBayer is offering gaming enthusiasts the chance to acquire a vintage Nintendo NES (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62054&item=8176591365&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW) with an unusual mod - it's possessed by the spirits of the undead who who use it as a portal with which to communicate with the other side.
Or so the vendor claims. Rest assured, though, it's not a malevolent possession which will end with peoples' heads swivelling around, screaming priests jumping out of first-floor windows and your house and all its contents being sucked down into Hell - rather a low-key sort of visitation which manifests itself through voices and the occassional interruption of a game. Read on:

There is a local thrift store here in Brooklyn, NYC, that I've been doing business with for some years now. About a month and a half ago I made one of my visits to the shop and found this '80s Nintendo System. When I purchased this Unit I asked the owner of the shop about who brought the System in, and what he actually told me was that a gentleman had donated it that same morning and said "It was just sitting in his attic", and according to him, it supposedly belonged to his son who passed away years ago.

I brought this System home, and on the first night of playing, about 10 minutes into the game, I began hearing sounds similar to human voices, mumbling to the background music of the television.

Naturally I thought it may have been static or something to that effect, or maybe it somehow interfered with a truck driver's CB Radio System, so I didn't pay much attention to it.

But it continued through-out the entire time I was playing, stop for a minute or two, then start again. It got to the point where I went really close to the TV, I paused the game to try to hear it a little better, but then it would get silent. When I would unpause it, there it would go again.

I know it sounded like there was a conversation going on but I couldn't make out any of the words.

To my knowledge, there is no technical problem with any vintage Nintendo Gaming System that causes any of these 'symptoms'.

Since owning this System, I've experienced hearing sounds of mumbling and laughing in the background music of different games (all sounding Exactly the same and all on numerous occasions).

On 3 separate occasions I've had the game 'Pause' by itself, without having my finger anywhere near the 'Start' button of the controller, and the really suspicious thing about it was the fact the timing of the Pause always happened to be during an intense moment of a game, as if the intentions were made for me to lose.

I even tried different controllers, which I've sold on eBay, thinking it may have been some type of controller glitch with the originals... and yet still have the same exact things happen.

Every time I power this unit on is like getting ready for something new to happen.

And not only with me. I've invited close friends and family members over, and some but not all have witnessed something strange happen, like the one time the 'Arrow icon' on the Main Options screen of a game actually moved down to 2 Player Mode, all while the controller was out of my hand.

Yup, gone are the days when contact with the spirit world involved a glass, a Ouija board and a candlelit Victorian drawing room. Now when your dear departed wants to touch base they simply notify you by switching to two-player mode and away you go.

The haunted NES is currently standing at $152.50 with a couple of days left to run on the auction

radio667
03-15-2005, 12:23 AM
heres some pics of said Haunted Nintendo Entertainment System ;) .. SCAREY !!

http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL321/2058204/5919063/88521563.jpg

http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL321/2058204/5919063/88521565.jpg

Angel_Mapper
03-15-2005, 12:26 AM
I should make up some stupid crap to sell on eBay. Seems to be a lucrative business.

Freakish
03-15-2005, 01:29 AM
Seriously..all you need is some regular item and a good story, at least until people get tired of this sort of thing.

Spiffness
03-15-2005, 01:34 AM
This thing made national news.

Outrageous.

Aquablue
03-15-2005, 01:35 AM
I found the story of Ted's Caving Page (http://www.holyshiite.com/caver/page1.html) FAR more creepier. :moreconf:

Spiffness
03-15-2005, 02:45 AM
OMG Aqua! One scary ass story

BUT DAMN! I got to page 10, right as hes about to go back in, to face... whatever the hell it is, and the next page has a 404! THIS CANT BE!

radio667
03-15-2005, 05:41 AM
WOWIE - AQUA ..this is One Spooky story :eek: Loved it ( -btw .. read it wayyyyyyyy too early in the morning ) !!!

Angel_Mapper
03-15-2005, 05:44 AM
Not a good thing to be reading at 3 in the morning to be sure. :loopy:
Jebus, who wrote that, Stephen King??????

Angel_Mapper
03-15-2005, 06:15 AM
lol, meanwhile there's a story floating somewhere on the internet about a group of cavers freaked out about noises coming from the other side of a rock they were trying to push out of the way.

Dorkorama
03-15-2005, 07:34 AM
Wow ... whoop. A poor connection somewhere on the NES coupled with using the cruddy RF connection, no doubt.

As for the other "eerie noises," I tend to dismiss such as my ears play tricks on me quite frequently, especially when listening to synthesized or compressed music / sound with my headphones. Heh, I remember a few weeks ago, someone in my color management class freaked a bit because of howling wind. Apparantly she hadn't heard of anything quite like it, before, probably not having been in such large / old buildings for extended periods of time.

MortalPlague
03-15-2005, 09:30 AM
lol, meanwhile there's a story floating somewhere on the internet about a group of cavers freaked out about noises coming from the other side of a rock they were trying to push out of the way.

lol...

That was a great story. Anyone know if it's a real journal or not?

And yes, my choice of timing to read it was poor as well. I won't be going to bed for a bit now... :eek:

Aquablue
03-15-2005, 10:13 AM
Original thread: http://www.unrealplayground.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22855

:)

freshie
03-15-2005, 10:52 AM
Yes, Ted the Caver is a piece of fiction. If you weren't able to ascertain that by the Lovecraftian cliches spilled about the story, there is a link in the original thread about that

I'd say that haunted Nintendo Famicon story is completely fake, and is a clever tale in order to get some notoriety. If he was just trying to get rid of haunted system, he wouldn't be selling the games on another auction.

UltraJounin
03-15-2005, 11:18 AM
I wonder if my Haunter Poo would sell? I mean they could even make Haunted manure with that! :hammer:

CJHobbes
03-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Yes, Ted the Caver is a piece of fiction....

From the author himself:

caver_ted 01-05-2005 08:57 AM
Caver_Ted part one...

Well, I guess it’s time I add my two cents to the topic. My name is Ted and I am the author of the story you have been discussing. I am the original author. I created the story on my own and copied no one.

I will explain the details of the creation of the story in a moment, but first let me just say — WOW!! I am still thrilled and amazed by all of the discussion that my story has generated. I was unaware of just how far the story had circulated until Yvonne contacted me a few weeks ago. I was aware of how many people had visited MY web site (the angelfire site) because of the counter on the site, and that number has been slowly climbing since I started the site. But I had no idea that two other people had copied the site, with one going so far as adding an “alternate ending” complete with a doctored photo! And I had no idea that the story had been discussed on numerous forums!

I want to thank everyone who took the time to read the story. I hope you enjoyed it. It took a long time to write and even though there are a few things I would change, I am happy with how it turned out.

The recent events leading up to this post are as follows: I was contacted by my friend Brad (the ‘B’ in my story) a few weeks ago concerning an email he received from Yvonne. He mentioned that Yvonne was seeking the author of the “Caver Ted” story in order to obtain permission to translate it into French. I gave him my approval to pass along my name, email, and phone number to her. Two weeks ago I received an email from Yvonne making the same request, adding that there was a discussion in progress on the NSS web page concerning my story, and whether or not I was the original author. I was floored, as I mentioned above. But I was shocked and REALLY disappointed to learn that credit for writing the story was given to someone else. SO, I’ll take you back to the beginning and run through how the story came about, then I’ll discuss “proof” of authorship belonging to me.

Link to it is here: http://www.caves.org/soapbox/printthread.php?t=646&pp=40

Scroll almost all the way to the bottom, and you'll see his long posts. Fun to hear it from the author himself. =)

Edit: Well, after fully reading the link, seems there's a mystery of who really wrote the story. The drama never ends!

radio667
03-15-2005, 03:52 PM
Woot :D Bro 6 Coming in with the 411 !!!!!!!!!!

Freakish
03-15-2005, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the link! Good read..

I'll go see the movie if the trailer looks good...